Our Kids Read
2020 Summer Reading Challenge
June 15 – August 21, 2020
Summer Goal For Kindergarten & Grade 1: 600 minutes
Summer Goal for Grades 2 – 3: 800 minutes
Summer Goal for Grades 4 – 5: 1000 minutes
Summer Goal for Grades 6 – 8: 1200 minutes
You may also acquire minutes by engaging in IXL – Language Arts
Follow your progress throughout the summer. Earn your prize!
Earn your prize!
(Participants who successfully meet their summer goal will receive a SUPER READER t-shirt on the first day of school)
* Non-readers / beginning readers may also log minutes that someone else read to them *
Participation is easy… and FREE…
- Fill out the online registration form https://forms.gle/bocECm7M33AFmDoT9 by Friday, June 12, 2020.
- You will receive an email on June 13 that gives specific information about how to access and submit your official summer reading log.
- Beginning the first day of summer vacation, read, read, read! Be sure to log your minutes!
- Submit your log no later than Friday, August 21, 2020.
- Principals will pass out t-shirt prizes to “Super Reader” the following week.
Contact Mr. Ryan Nagle, Assistant Principal, Jack Hille Middle School
Phone: (708) 687-5550 x6105
Let’s Prevent “Summer Slide” in District 142!
For most students, when the summer break comes along, the formal learning process often ends. Young people regularly experience learning losses when they don’t engage in educational activities during the summer. Such a loss is often referred to as the “summer slide.”
Nearly 100 years of research shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer.
The amount of time children spend reading outside of school is linked to gains in reading achievement. In fact, many studies indicate that it’s possible to reduce the Reading Gap in as little as 10 minutes a day.
Please join District 142 in its efforts to prevent “summer slide,” and help us mitigate summer reading loss for our students. Encourage your child(ren) to participate in the 2020 Summer Reading Challenge.