About Kerkstra Elementary
G. Kerkstra Elementary
14950 S. Laramie Avenue
Oak Forest, Illinois 60452
To report an absence, please call before 9am. (All homework requests should also be made at this time. This will ensure teachers have ample time to put the work together. Thank you!)
Office Hours: 7:50am - 4:20pm
School Hours: 9:00am - 3:07pm
1st and 2nd grade students enter through Door 1 (main entrance)
3rd - 5th grade students enter though Door 9 (by the cafeteria)
1st and 2nd grade students are dismissed though Door 18 (gymnasium)
3rd - 5th grade students are dismissed though Door 9 (by the cafeteria)
Arrival/Dismissal Reminders for Parents:
Supervision by Kerkstra Staff begins at 8:45am. Students are not to be dropped off before this time.
To ensure student safety, we all need to work together:
- Parents are to turn right (South) on Laramie after arrival and dismissal from the carpool lane.
- Parents should refrain from dropping off and picking up students directly in front of the school. This area is designated for Buses and Co-Op arrival/dismissal. Please use the carpool lane instead.
- Students and parents, on-foot, are to cross Laramie in designated crosswalks. Those needing to cross 149th Street are to cross at the corner of 149th and Laramie. A crossing guard has been stationed there for your safety.
- U-turns done in front of the school are unsafe and should be avoided.
- Lastly, those parents entering the carpool lane (either at arrival or dismissal), please do not block the sidewalk with your car. This blocks students from having a safe passage to/from school.
Thank you all for your help to ensure our Kerkstra students stay safe on a daily basis!
Congratulations Kerkstra Elementary School a 2015 recipient of the U.S. Department of Education’s National Blue Ribbon Award for Exemplary High Performing Schools. We are extremely proud of our staff and students for achieving this lifetime distinction.
You can see the announcement from the U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan at https://youtu.be/iDhvIhG62uo.
For more information about the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, visit http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html